In her article about screening guys through social media, Ms. Lewis highly strongly recommends that women carefully check the social media activity of the guys they meet and consider dating. But are the tips she provides as reliable indicators of who the guy really is? Let’s go over each one.
1. Page activity. I agree, if the guy is posting all day, chances are high he doesn’t have much of a life outside of Facebook, and it’s not a good sign.
2. Photos. Agreed again. If he has too many selfies, especially the shirtless-bathroom-douchebag kind, he probably is one.
3. Timeline. That’s where I have to stop. The writer suggests that you can learn a lot about the guy and about how much his friends and family members care about him from how he has been interacting with his friends and family members based on his timeline. But can you really assume that much? What if he is one of those guys who think that talking too much to people who truly matter to you on Facebook is lame, and he prefers to talk to them on the phone or in person? What if he is just not on Facebook all that much, and all his friends know that so, they don’t bother to communicate to him that way? You simply cannot assume based on lack of action on the Facebook timeline that no one cares about a guy, who that he doesn’t care about others. Let’s face it – we all know that there are far better way to show and receive attention than sending Facebook messages.
4. The About Me / Liked Pages. It’s nice to share a few interests, but is it critical? I don’t think so. In fact a relationship can be more exciting if you introduce each other to new things and force each other to get out of your comfort zone and learn about new things and activities that your partner is interested in. What matters much more is that each of you respect each other’s interests, however different they might be.
5. Followers. Ms. Lewis states that if the guy follows more than one porn star it’s a problem. I don’t have a strong opinion on this, but I would love to ask her – what exactly does it say about him if he follows two or three porn stars?
While some social activity can be an unequivocal sign that there is something wrong with the guy, it’s important that you don’t assume too much too early just based on the guy’s Facebook page. When you do, you may miss out by dismissing all kinds of guys for imaginary reasons, just based on what you thought you learned about them.